Covalent compounds consist predominately of covalent bonds.
The smaller the difference in electronegativity between the elements the more covalent the compound.
1. Gases, liquids or solids with low melting points
2. Many are insoluble in polar solvents (water)
3. Most are soluble in nonpolar solvents (CCl4)
4. Molten compounds do not conduct electricity
5. Aqueous solutions are poor conductors of electricity
6. Usually a NONMETAL and NONMETAL
Molecule - the simplest unit of a covalent compound
Examples: H2O H2 NH